Article XI - Officers and Directors
Section l. Officers. The elected officers of the Board shall be: a President, President-Elect, Secretary, and a Treasurer. The Secretary and Treasurer may be the same person. They shall be elected for terms of one year.
Section 2. Duties of Officers. The duties of the officers shall be such as their titles, by general usage, would indicate and such as may be assigned to them by the Board of Directors. It shall be the particular duty of the Secretary to keep the records of the Board and to carry on all necessary correspondence with the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® and the Florida Association of REALTORS®.
Section 3. Board of Directors. The governing body of the Board shall be a Board of Directors consisting of the elected officers and 9 REALTOR® Members of the Board. Directors shall be elected to serve for terms of two years, and as many directors shall be elected each year as are required to fill the vacancies.
Section 4. Election of Officers and Directors.
- At least two (2) months before the annual election, Nominating Committee of 7 REALTOR® Members shall be appointed by the President with the approval of the Board of Directors. The Nominating Committee shall select one candidate for each office and one candidate for each place to be filled on the Board of Directors. The report of the Nominating Committee shall be mailed to each Member eligible to vote at least three (3) weeks preceding the election. Additional candidates for the offices to
be filled may be placed in nomination by petition signed by at least 5 of the REALTOR® Members eligible to vote. The petition shall be filed with the Secretary at least seven (7) days before the election. Resumes of these nominees shall be available at the Association office on Election Day for perusal by the electing body.
- The election of Officers and Directors shall take place the first Thursday in August in the Association office during regular business hours. Election shall be by ballot and all votes shall be cast in person. The ballot shall contain the names of all candidates and the offices for which they are nominated. Absentee ballots will be available through the Association office seven days before the election and must be returned to the Association office by the close of business on Election Day.
- The President, with the approval of the Board of Directors, shall appoint an Election Committee of 3 REALTOR® Members to conduct the election. In case of a tie vote, the issue shall be determined by lot.
- No director shall serve more than two consecutive terms as a director and no officer may serve more than two consecutive terms in the same office.
Section 5. Vacancies. Vacancies among the Officers and the Board of Directors shall be filled by recommendation of the President and a simple majority vote of the Board of Directors for the term of the Officer or Director creating the vacancy.
Section 6. Removal of Officers and Directors. In the event that an Officer or Director is deemed to be incapable of fulfilling the duties for which elected, but will not resign from office voluntarily, the Officer or Director may be removed from office under the following procedure: Page 18
- A petition requiring the removal of an Officer or Director and signed by not less than one-third of the voting membership or a majority of all Directors shall be filed with the President, or if the President is the subject of the petition, with the next-ranking officer, and shall specifically set forth the reasons the individual is deemed to be disqualified from further service.
- Upon receipt of the petition, and not less than twenty (20) days or more than forty-five (45) days thereafter, a special meeting of the voting membership of the Board shall be held, and the sole business of the meeting shall be to consider the charge against the Officer or Director, and to render a decision on such petition.
- The special meeting shall be noticed to all voting Members at least ten (l0) days prior to the meeting, and shall be conducted by the President of the Board unless the President's continued service in office is being considered at the meeting. In such case, the next-ranking officer will conduct the meeting of the hearing by the Members. Provided a quorum is present, a three-fourths vote of Members present and voting shall be required for removal from office.